Increasing your property value can be as simple as making small renovations. If you’re planning to sell your home, tackle a few upgrades, and keep it neat, clean, and well-organized. Here are five projects that add value to your home.
Inspect Your Home
Inspect your home and repair anything that is broken or outdated. Here are a few small projects you can do yourself to boost property value.
- Check your home for holes and cracks. Seal them to reduce the likelihood of rodents, termites, and ants invading.
- Spray the outside perimeter of your home with preventative bug spray to repel pests.
- Check for leaks in your basement. Make repairs as needed.
- Trim branches that hang over your roof or above where cars are parked.
- Replace cracked outlet covers, broken light globes, and missing cabinet handles.
Hire a professional home inspector to find any hidden problems or concerns. The inspection report will help you understand the condition of the home and you can choose repair projects to complete.
Update the Bathroom to Add Value to Your Home
A complete bathroom remodel is often pricey, but you can make small upgrades to improve the space. Update your bathroom with a few minor changes to add value to your home.
- Update your bathroom’s wallpaper to something neutral yet appealing to the eye.
- Purchase a modern bathroom sink and cabinet.
- Frame the mirror for a quick and easy upgrade.
- Install an above-the-toilet cabinet to add storage space.
- Add a backsplash.
Renovate the Kitchen
In most homes, the kitchen is the room that gets the most traffic. Complete improvements to make your kitchen more welcoming and functional. A potential buyer will care about the kitchen, so you want to create an appealing space.
- Choose a new color scheme. Shop for wallpaper, paint, decor, and a backsplash to tie the room together.
- Purchase new appliances if yours are outdated.
- Install a whole-house water filtration system.
- Refinish or replace the kitchen cabinets to update the space.
Organize and Clean Your Home
When potential home buyers tour the property, it’s important that they see a clean and tidy space. Keeping your home organized will add value because a clutter-free home is a more spacious and stress-free environment.
- Hire a professional organizer to get every room in your home neat and tidy.
- Purge any unwanted items to reduce the amount of clutter in your home.
- Spend weekends organizing room-by-room.
- Declutter and organize the belongings in your garage and/or shed.
Paint with Neutrals to Add Value to Your Home
Painting your home will make the rooms feel fresh and new. This is an easy and inexpensive project. The gallons of paint, paint rollers, paint trays, and tarps for the floor and furniture will cost around $200-$300. Of course, the exact cost depends on how many gallons of paint you need for the room(s) you are painting and how many rooms you are updating.
Choose neutral colors to appeal to any buyer.
Improve Your Home with Projects that Add Value
Roll up your sleeves and get prepared for projects that add value to your home. Have family members help and you’ll have the house ready to put on the market in no time.